Sunday, December 21, 2008

Kabootar Mehenga Padh Jaayega, by errr...fan!

People ask me who my favorite actor is. These people have a sad habit of asking about favorite actors and actresses, across segments and geographies. I think they prepare mental dashboards and rank reports, based on the response they get, and think it makes for good conversation.

5 years back, when I was asked this question, I said - Irrfan Khan. Nobody could place him. But it was amusing to them when I did a little bit of - 'Chal baby, n***i ho jaa' from Gunaah. His name was not even spelled 'Irrfan'. I was the lone brand ambassador.

4 years back, when I was asked the same question, I said - Irrfan Khan. It was still difficult to place him, but some people had seen Haasil, and Ranvijay's 'Kaa Bhaiya' fever was catching up. All my friends knew who he was. I was not alone.

3 years back, when I was asked the same question, I said - Irrfan Khan. All my friends knew who he was. Even the friends' friends. But for some funny reason, people thought I was kidding. Some idiots also confused him with Irfan Pathan - the cricketer. That was the most difficult year of my life.

2 years back they realized it was all serious, and a big deal. Haasil Trivia games became the order of the day. 'What did Ranvijay say to Suggi while asking about the missing Niharika?', 'Which theater did Ranvijay call his friends after he killed Pandit?', 'Why do girls shy away from Ranvijay, even though he has a clean heart'? are just some examples.

1 year back, I stopped endorsing Irrfan. There was no need for it. The movies, the Hutch/Vodafone ad, the crossover cinema, all this was louder than my words.

Some people come to me and say, why Irrfan Khan. I don't blame them. They are only used to the other Khans being named as favorites. I don't know the answer. All I know is that there are fans. There are big fans. And then there are people who call themselves biggest fans. I guess I was just the "first" biggest fan.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeet said...

hehe.. true man.. banda sahi hai.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

couldnt help laughing!! sorry :)

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ideas aate kahan se hain?abki baar koi mujhse puche to main to apka naam lungi heheheheh.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ohh hands down to 'irrfan' bhai.. my fav dialogue is from sunday movie wid arshad:
"arey beta billu,, maine suna tumhare saath hadsa ho gya"

1:27 AM  
Blogger Priyanka said...

fundooo..and soooo true...the vodafone ad was my fav.. :D

11:33 AM  
Blogger songara said...

sahi talent parakh lete ho mamu!

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home